I made an exhaust bracket for it

SOme red painted on the bumper and lamps have been painted too

A few outdoor shots, I also carried the following work

- Gloss black 5th wheel
    - 2K gloss all the 3D printed parts
    - Tread plate on chassis

Exhaust stack "weathered"

Greetings Calum

• Hello everyone, a small change to the Volvo's rear crossmember for the new trailer - this is a locking pin to assist with reversing

The old cross member and light brackets

new member fitted and brackets made for the lamps :thumbup:

The Volvo's first run with the trailer and its first load :D

It ran for a few hours perfectly until the propshaft broke.... :cursing:

Also the motor mount was damaged :whistling:

So a new mount was made and propshafts were ordered

This was not all bad, there was several bolts loose that needed loctite on them ;)

Thank you to SCM for the shafts and a 4 day delivery to Scotland! :top

A new digital servo for the rear diff locks was fitted too

Under the cab is a little messy still

"

Now I am just waiting on a BEC to fix a problem with my steering servo

Grettings Calum

• Happy New year to everyone, I spent some time on the Volvo over the Christmas break.

I have a few small changes and improvements to do, first of was the lights - I have installed Modellbau-Regler truck Profi and wired the LED's for the front bumper, there is new rear lamps on order from Modellbau Niepelt. :thumbup:

Before work starts

Then the wiring started - A few hours later

LED's are fitted :love:

A view from behind

Hazard lights

Sidelights - I have ordered more resistors the lamps are too bright still :cursing:

Dip beam

Full beam

All the lights on

A video of them working - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m32QquZMqcY

Next was to shorten and tidy up some wires

I also redid some of the electrical connectors for the trailer :thumbup:

Everything is a little neater now 8)

Regards Calum

• Hello again everyone, I have some more progress on the Volvo

This weekend I have been working on the lighting some more, I have made some brackets for the side marker lamps. I took no pictures making the brackets, but they are just brass strip, folded with a tube to hold the wires. I've gave them a quick paint in black and wired a 2.1mm amber LED in the end.

The painted parts

A few pictures of them fitted

Tested the LED's

Wheel arches back on

Next I added some lighting to my grill, I marked out where I wanted them to be and drilled out a 1.8mm hole. I then glued in the LED's and left them to dry over night. Everything was then soldered with resistors added, then another layer of glue added to keep everything from moving.

Behind the grill

A quick test to see what it looks like :thumbup:

Thank you to SCM for the next part :]

I never really liked these mudwings - but it was all that I could find at the time of building this truck, I didn't like the brackets that held them in place. They were also very awkward to fit and didn't sit very nicely on the truck. So they needed to be replaced with the Lesu version!

Before

After :love:

I also swapped the oil tank to the other side and moved the air tanks - I will hopefully have room for a locker box to fill the space. I think the oil tank looks much better on this side now

:whistling::thumbup:

Airtanks in their new place

Of course I had to fit the "Volvo" mudflaps to them!

Much, much better :thumbup:

Regards Calum

• :moin:

In 2020 a few changes and repairs have been made to the FH :thumbup:

- New wheel arches on the back
    - Trailer electrical connections have been rebuilt
    - New rear lamps installed
    - A SM3 sound system
    - A MFR to control the trailer tipper
    - A few stickers added to the rear of the cab
    - The steering angle has been improved - much better turning circle
    - Orange grill lights
    - A roof light bar has been added

- And finally - the FH's cab has started to rust!! ?(:thumbdown:

Anyway here it is with the freshly painted trailer :thumbup:

"

From behind

Now I just need some better weather and no lockdown :cursing:

Regards Calum

• Hello Everyone

A few small extras added to the Volvo

- Beacons for the roof
    - A front tow hitch
    - Mud flaps for the bumper

Sadly I took no pictures of the beacons when I fitted them, they were from Ebay and looked horrible so I painted the base with black paint. You can see them in some of the pictures

Front tow hitch

Mud Flap brackets

The brackets are held in place using the bolts of the lamps

Test fit :thumbup:

Bumper fitted and the tow hitch paint RAL 7021

Outside in the sun :love:

Best regards Calum

• Hello Calum!

Nice truck, clean work!

Why an Austrian license plate?

Greetings from Austria

Willy

Thank you Willy lots of hours spent building hopefully I can get outside and use it soon!

The number plate was chosen because its a left hand drive truck and also my trailer came from Austria :thumbup:

Calum

• Hello Everyone,

I few changes on the Volvo recently, I had a small space available on the chassis so I decided to build a storage box. The box will hold a few towing ropes and anything else I might to carry.

It is made from 0.3mm brass sheet, I used thin brass flat bar to go around the edges to give it some strength. 2 brass hinges were soldered to the box and a small handle bent an solder to open the door, the door is held in place with 2 small magnets.

The mudflap on the front arch has always bothered me - I actually painted this the wrong colour it should have been black.... :rolleyes: Also it can not move, so this reduces ground clearance!

Before

During :whistling:

After

Much better! :thumbup:

Next to change was the sub chassis for the 5th wheel, I made the previous version too light and used screws which were to big so I didn't fit the truck well.
    The first time I built it I used 1/4 box tube - this time I have used 1/4 solid bar, it's much more difficult to solder but I think it has been worth it. A much stronger version and adding extra weight on the drive axles.

4 brackets made to bolt it to the chassis

Brass chequer plate fitted to fill the gaps

Test fitting so I can drill and tap the mounting holes

Drilled and threaded the chassis :thumbup:

I redid the chequer plate again and it looks much better this time. I also made another part for further along the cassis. This part can be lifted off to access the gearbox and trailer connections.

2 counter sunk bolts hold it to the chassis, then when the top plate is fitted 4 more bolts go down through into threaded holes on the chassis and then 4 more bolts hold the chequer plate down.

Version 1

Version 2 - Over double the weight :thumbup:

Now I have to sand and paint everything in chassis black...

Also there is now a new driver for the Volvo :top

"

Greetings Calum

• Hello again everyone!

I have been busy painting parts for the 5th wheel and the plate to cover the chassis, here is a little preview whilst everything else is still drying

The cab has been removed to help organise the wiring for the trailer connections....

Can anyone spot what is missing from the cab? :whistling:?(

Greetings Calum

• Hello everyone,

So eventually all the painted parts were dry enough for me to fit so I slowly began to install them.

But first the roof bar - originally it was chrome, at first I liked it but the idea of painting it to match the bumper interested me. So I removed it, soaked everything in bleach over night to remove all the chrome.

Sanded, primed, painted red and finally the inside of the lamps painted silver

Lenses refitted :love:

Painted 5th wheel parts

Lightbar installed and outside for a picture

The locker box has also be installed here :thumbup:

Lots of black chequer plate :love:

The happy driver! :thumbup:

">

For now the Volvo is complete, I hopefully will be able to get out and use it a little this year...

In the future I will be repainting the cab, fitting new mirrors and covering up any unused holes on the cab

Greetings Calum

• Hello everyone

A few more pictures of the Volvo :thumbup:

Messy operator! :/

Tow rope saved the day :rolleyes:

My favourite picture :love:

This was a full trailer :rolleyes:

">

Nearly 4 hours driving and some very heavy loads it broke again! :cursing:

Motor removed and another mount has been built, how long will it last? ?(

New mount built, this time the engine sits much more horizontal which gives improved ground clearance

One last picture waiting for the Komatsu :love:

Regards Calum

• A quick video, the quality is very poor sadly

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne deine Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklärst du dich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

Greetings Calum

Jetzt mitmachen!

Du hast noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registriere dich kostenlos und nimm an unserer Community teil!